Thursday, February 9, 2012

Little Moments

I should be translating right now (I'm working on my first message for a group of girls...so pray for me, please!!), but my brain is fried... so I thought I would take a minute and tell you a couple of the little moments this week that made me laugh.  Wes just said today that I should write these down, so I guess here on the blog is going to have to work. :)... that way, y'all can chuckle, too. ;)

We always talk to our kids about how blessed they are to be living in a different culture and how they get to experience and learn things that kids in the States rarely have the opportunity to.  We've talked about how they are especially blessed to have learned a second language so young.  We've explained that they are 'bi-lingual'... which means they know 2 languages (yes, simple language meant for my 3 year old. :))  Nathan, my little 'thinker', cocks his head and says to me the other day, "Mom, do you know that I'm really learning 3 languages... English, Spanish, and British English."  :)   He's right!  They teach British English in the schools, and there are a surprising amount of differences.  The sad thing is that they tend to harp on my boys for those differences, rather than allowing them to use their American English.  At least Nathan can laugh about it. :)

The other day at dinner, Wes was gone and the kids and I were sitting at the dinner table.  Weston, who is the one in our family who enjoys "poking" and getting a reaction out of the others, said, "ooooo, I think I hear someone downstairs...."  He was totally trying to scare the other kids, and you could see the mischief on his face.  Nathan and Jonathan's eyes got big and they started to listen... Before I could even get the words out of my mouth to tell Weston to stop,  Carolina, hopped out of her seat and started running for the door... "where?????"  she asked, looking all around for the "people"... haha... the girl in the family wasn't scared in the least!  She is such a people person, she wanted to go say hi to them.

Carolina is not afraid of people; but one night she was in her bed, scared of monsters.  I was telling her not to be scared, that Jesus was right there with her.  She said, "Mom, Jesus is dead.  He died on the cross." She said it softly, as if she was just breaking the news to me. :)   I had to keep myself from laughing... I explained that He did die on the cross but that He rose from the dead three days later.  I told her that Jesus is alive today and "He's right here in your room with you!"  She slowly looked around, and her eyes fell back on me.  Her face suddenly brightened with recognition and she said, "Mom, are you Jesus??" Oh, that girl. It still makes me laugh out loud... I just love her!

I guess this is another Carolina story.  She was definitely appropriately named: Carolina JOY.  She brings so much joy and laughter to this house!  Carolina has a stuffed dog that my mom gave her right before we came to Spain.  She doesn't go anywhere without her dog... many times we have to make doggie take a "nap" in the car b/c he can't go to school or church with her, but Carolina always tries. :)  People often ask her what her dog's name is.  She just looks at them strangely and answers, "Doggie."  She got a baby doll for Christmas, so there was another conversation about the name of her baby.  It's a new concept for Carolina... naming the toy something other than it's literal name. :)  We had talked it through with her... Carolina's name is Carolina.  Mommy's name, Daddy's name, etc.  So, it seemed like she was finally catching on and she stops everyone in the room.  She spreads out her arms like she's about to make an announcement to everyone.  She says, "Ok, the baby's name ISSSS...." she draws out the "s" and pauses for effect ... "BABY!"  I about died laughing.  She is SO theatrical.  She had everyone's attention and she knew everyone was waiting... and then, she really hadn't gotten the concept at all! haha...but there's more. 

Wes and I went away for my birthday (oh, I just realized I still need to post those pics!!), and we brought back little things for the kids.  Carolina's "doggie" is white and has been very, very well loved, if you know what I mean.  So we bought her another one... a brown one, this time. :)  Of course, once again, Wes asks her what this doggie's name is.  She looks straight at him and says, "perro."  (which is "dog" in Spanish.)  Now, this girl sure isn't creative, but neither is she dumb!! haha....

I do have one more, but I think I'll make it it's own post. :)  Here's how it starts...

Ok, this was nothing that the kids said, and actually wasn't all that funny at the time (as is often the case...) but, it still makes Wes and I shake our heads and chuckle.  We only have 4 kids.  I know that to some that may sound like alot, but it's not really.  I mean, I have friends (in the States... definitely not here!) who have much bigger families!  On normal days, 4 just seems... "normal."  But then there are days when 4 does feel like a lot... but only when "difficulties" strike each and every one of them. :) ... on the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment