Monday, August 10, 2009

Sorting and sorting and sorting...

When we moved from CA to VA, we sold about half our household belongings... but it still feels like we have a ton! We worked all last week on sorting... and sorting and sorting! We sorted when we moved from CA, and again when we got here. Now I'm doing it again! Crazy!

We are working on getting all of our boxes packed up and ready to be crated and shipped to Spain. The kids were in VBS last week, and it was the perfect time for Wes and I to go to our storage space and SORT! Because we have SIX in our family, we will be allowed 4 crates to pack what we need to bring. The crates are pretty small, so everything has be be as compact as possible. (I have learned to use every nook and cranny... did you know that markers and crayons fit perfectly inside 9x13 baking dishes?!?!)

As of right now, we are bringing our kitchen table, the boys bunk beds, and Carolina's crib... as far as furniture goes. We've packed up boxes of the most essential things (like my pots and pans and silverware for the kitchen, sheets and towels, clothes, etc.) We are also bringing some sentimental things (like our wedding album and family pictures.) We can't bring anything electric, b/c the current over there is different. That means that all our lamps, small appliances, etc. won't be coming with us. Everything else, we will have to buy once we arrive in Spain.

I have realized, as we have gone through this process, how much we as American's horde! It's a normal thing for most of us. I'm not one that likes clutter, and I'm always making Wes (as well as myself!) go through his closet and get rid of things he doesn't wear. But, even with that type of persistence, we still had tons of STUFF... you know, the extra blankets ... just in case. Or the extra jackets... just in case... the extra towels or table settings... just in case. It amazes me! Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a sin or anything, but I am realizing just how simple life CAN be. I've basically come down to... "what do we need to live daily life." It's actually quite freeing! I know that sounds crazy to most people, but it's such an exciting place to be. Nothing is holding us down. We could go anywhere, do anything He asks of us!

But, before I get ahead of myself... I'd better get back to what He's asked us to do right now... SORT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment